It’s pretty difficult to find any PAL P.N.03 information out there, so I thought I’d also share a save file [6 KB] (saved using the EMS Gamecube save card) and a few tips on Papillon suit acquisition.
Here’s the 5 slots in the file:
- Start of Mission 11, Easy, all suits except Blackbird and Papillon unlocked. Complete this mission to see ending #1, and the Blackbird unlock screen.
- Start of Mission 11, Normal, all suits except Papillon unlocked. Complete this mission (without changing out of the Blackbird suit) to see ending #2, and the Papillon unlock screen.
- Start of Mission 11, Easy, all suits unlocked, wearing Papillon. Complete this mission to see ending #3.
- Cleared data, Blackbird. Load this slot to view the Blackbird start screen.
- Cleared data, Papillon. Load this slot to view the Papillon start screen.
FWIW (considering the vast amounts of dubious P.N.03 information out there – especially regarding the PAL version), here’s how I did it:
- Slot 1: played through on Easy, completed all the Trial Missions, and repeated Trial Mission 7.5 (ie, Trial Mission 5 preceding Mission 8 ) until I had sufficient points to buy all the suits. When this game was complete, I saved the Cleared data into Slot 4.
- New game. Loaded Slot 4, then played through on Easy again, racking up the points and upgrading all the suits to maximum. Saved the “Cleared” data to Slot 4 again.
- New game. Loaded Slot 4, then raced through on Easy mode again (not worried about the Trial Missions), saving into Slot 2. The purpose here was to generate a “Cleared” Slot in Slot 2. When loaded, the Slot 2 Cleared data still results in the Blackbird title screen.
- New game. Loaded Slot 2, played through on Normal, saving to Slot 2. Changed suits to the Blackbird at the earliest opportunity, before shooting anything. Completed all the Trial Missions, getting Professional on all of them (resetted without saving if I missed Professional). I definitely did not get Professional ranking on all the “real” Missions. Completed the game, awarded Papillon, saved the Cleared data into Slot 5.
- New game. Loaded Slot 5, played through on Easy with the Blackbird, racking up sufficient points to upgrade the Papillon to maximum (this generally doesn’t require any Trial Missions). Saved the Cleared data to Slot 5 again.
- New game. Loaded Slot 5, played through on Easy, saving to Slot 3. Changed suits to the Papillon at the earliest opportunity, before shooting anything.
Playing with the Papillon on Easy still gives you a slight buffer (getting hit twice kills you, as opposed to Normal mode’s once (!) ).
I’ve also collected a few lovely P.N.03 movies for you:
- The first of the game’s attract movies (and attractive they are). [6,618 KB]
- The second of the game’s attract movies. [5,358 KB]
- A Japanese TV commercial with some great composition. [5,162 KB]
7 thoughts on “The P.N.03 Papillon Quest”
Recently got into this game…
Yr save file link is forbidden ???
I can’t seem to download it…
Hi Lawrence! Thanks for reading, and welcome to the wonderful world of P.N.03! Many apologies for the bad links above; I’ve fixed them now. Have fun with the Papillon Suit! ;)
Great ! Thanks ! It works !
YOU’RE AWESOME !
I dusted off P.N.03 and wanted to start a Papillon playthrough after all these years, but I was unsure how to acquire the suit with my old save. Now I can just go ahead and get right into the action – thank you so much for this!
No problems, Theron – hope it helps! :D
Hi. I just finished P.N.03 (PAL French edition) twice, unlocking both special suits (Blackbird and Papillon). I don’t think I’ll be able to finish the game with the Papillon suit however. Therefore your save file would really come in handy. Unfortunately the link is dead (404 error). Would you mind reuploading it, please? Thanks a lot in advance.
Many apologies – the link is now fixed :)